Monday, May 27, 2013

Adams calling in the Bishopric

Journal   05/14/13
Adams calling to Bishopric.  ……

Saturday before mother’s day. Adam got a call from the stake secretary stating that he wanted Adam and his wife to come in on the following Tuesday to meet with the stake counselor.  We agreed.   I asked Adam why he thought they wanted to meet with him and he said it was probably about his calling as ward mission leader.  This seemed feasible since they had recently introduced a Hispanic branch and Adam had worked closing with the missionaries to make this happen.  Neither of us thought anything of it until we were at our friend’s house for family home evening and were discussing meeting times for the next primary meeting.  And Adam said ‘Oh Tonna that reminds me we have that meeting with the stake counselor on Tuesday, don’t let me forget’.   The fact that he brought it up in front of them, again emphasizes how non-important Adam thought the meeting would be.  They kind of snickered and said oh really we happen to have a meeting with the stake presidency also on Tuesday night.  Now this got us thinking...Then they informed us that this Sunday the bishopric stated that they were not having any speakers.  Now we really started thinking of the possibilities.  We knew our bishopric had been serving for a long time.  And we also knew the new Hispanic branch may need some new callings as well.

Long story short I thought about it in my sleep and at work the next day.
The following night, I barely had enough time to pick up Scotty from Joana’s house, and partially feed him before we were rushing off to the church.  Adam actually tried to leave the house in his polo shirt and work pants.  I quickly put a stop to that and insisted he put his suit on…Seriously Adam? 
President Cubic greeted us on our way in and interviewed me first, while Adam and Scotty stayed outside.  He began by asking me to tell him about ourselves.  I started with how we met, dated, later married and then 5 years later were sealed in the Temple.  He asked how Adam treated me and how our marriage was.  I informed him that Adam was a lot like his father and was constantly doing things to please me, and that our marriage had been great since the past 5 years and continues to get better every year. 
He then let me know that things were going to change for our family and he interviewed Adam while I ran to the Mother’s lounge and changed Scotty and then finished feeding him.  Soon Adam came to get me we resumed our meeting. 
Pres. Cubic informed me that Adam had been asked to serve as the 2nd Counselor in the West Columbia Bishopric…..It hits you like a ton a bricks.  Time stops for just a second and you realize your life really is about to change…for a really long time. .   My first thought was, Oh my gosh, we are never going to leave Columbia.  My second thought was, If I had known this was coming, I may have waited a little longer to have Scotty.  Good thing I didn’t know.  My third thought was I take back all the bad things I ever said about Adam’s previous calling. 
 I quickly had a flashback to when I was about to graduate PA school and I was researching loan repayment jobs and locations.  I distinctly remember coming across this job and knowing that we would end up here.  I remember exactly where I was, and feeling relieved that I wouldn’t have to keep worrying, searching, and applying to jobs.  This was the same confirmation that I received when I decided where to go to PA School, and that Adam and I should get married.
 President Cubic encouraged us to go home and reread our Patriarchal Blessings.  This phrase in Adam’s blessing stood out to me, ‘I bless you, as you and your wife ponder where to go to pursue your professional career, that you will be guided by the spirit.  As you seek prayerfully, He will guide and direct you where He would have you be, to be able to serve and grow.  I bless you that you will have many opportunities to serve in the priesthood’.  
In that room with President Cubic, the spirit was very strong and we knew that this new endeavor would bring joy and blessings to our lives and marriage just like every other calling has previously done, but now on a magnified level.
However, I am also realistic; I know that I will have to be okay with Adam sacrificing his time for his calling.  With that said, I can’t deny that he will be amazing and do a great job.
I can’t help think back to the time when we were living in Portland, ME and I told Adam I really wanted to start getting active again and go to the Temple.  I remember having a few arguments/discussions encouraging him to just try it.  I took a gamble and said, Just give it a shot, and if you truly don’t want to become active again, I won’t bother you about it EVER again.  I’ll accept it and I’ll go to church without you.  At the time, I was even surprised to hear myself say this, knowing that he would hold me to my words.  But honestly the words just flew out of my mouth, and I wasn’t sure at the time why I had said them.  
Although Adam is laid back, when he decides to do things he becomes consumed by it and almost a little neurotic and/or obsessed.  Fortunately, this is exactly what was needed for him to gain a testimony.  Not long after this, Adam was encouraging me to be more active and I was not sure what I had gotten myself into.
Since we were sealed in the SLC temple 13 months ago, things have continued to change rapidly for us on a consistent basis.  I got pregnant, then was called to the Primary presidency, then we had Scotty and bought a house.   But this last Sunday  when Adam was ordained a high priest and set apart as the 2nd Counselor, in the West Columbia Ward, I knew that this church related change was going certainly be one of the biggest, last the longest, and be very rewarding.

I can’t express into words how Proud of Adam I am and the man he has become.  I hope that I can let my shellfish tendencies subside enough to allow him to serve others.  Although, I will never feel bad for desiring Adam’s attention,   I guess I cannot blame everyone else for wanting to do the same.         


2 comments:

  1. I'm SOOOO thrilled that you guys have started writing! It makes my heart happy. We are excited for this calling and for your family. I loved reading the details that led up to this move. You have such a beautiful family and we are so glad to keep in touch with you here and however else we can. Love you!

    ReplyDelete